Saturday, October 6th, 2018
Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 6, 2018. That is the date that the recently established Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame will honor their second class of inductees at the Minnewaska House. Nominees will come from the former high schools of Glenwood, Starbuck, and Villard as well as Minnewaska Area High School. The public is urged to submit nominations.
The Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame selection committee is comprised of six individuals and includes members from Glenwood, Starbuck, and Villard. The specific number of inductees will vary from year to year, but will include at least one person or team from each of the schools each year.
The committee is looking forward to receiving nominations and learning about the various athletic accomplishments. Biographical information about the candidates is requested as part of the nomination process. We are fortunate to have the Pope County Historical Society as an additional resource. April 1 is the deadline for nominations for the 2016 induction class.
There won’t be a shortage of outstanding nominees considering there have been over 40 teams that have participated in state tournaments. There are 19 basketball players in the 1000 point club. There have been champions in track, cross country, wrestling, and golf. Some Glenwood High School athletes were honored as Hall of Famers in the 1990s and they have been grandfathered into the Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame.
Initial funding for the Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame was provided by a grant from the Minnesota State High School League. The Minnewaska Laker Foundation is the sponsoring organization for the Hall of Fame. The Laker Foundation has three main fundraising operations-The Laker Classic golf tournament, The Taste on the Lake event and the Alumni Basketball Tournament.
A brief overview of the Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame can be found on the school website. For those unable to view it, this is the text:
Our local schools (Glenwood, Starbuck, Villard, Minnewaska Area) have produced many outstanding athletes, coaches, and individuals whose successes and contributions have led to a tradition of excellence and a source of pride for our communities. The goal of the Minnewaska Area Athletic Hall of Fame is to recognize and honor those achievements.
• Players are eligible after a ten year waiting period. For instance, the earliest a 2003 high school graduate could be inducted to the Hall of Fame would be with the class of 2014.
• Coaches are eligible after a two year waiting period following their retirement as a coach from Glenwood, Starbuck, Villard, or Minnewaska Area High School.
• Teams are eligible after a ten year waiting period.
• At Large (media, game officials, administrators, community leaders) are eligible after fifteen years of noteworthy involvement with any of the four previously mentioned schools.
• Anyone can nominate an individual or team for Hall of Fame consideration.
• Nominations should be submitted in writing (including email) to the Activities Director at Minnewaska Area High School by April 1 and should include biographical information that will be helpful to the committee when they consider the nominee.
All information on the nomination form must be completed and received no later than April 1. Return the completed nomination form and any supporting materials to: Minnewaska Area Schools Athletic Hall of Fame Committee Attn: Bill Mills - Activities Director, Minnewaska Area High School 25122 State Hwy 28
Glenwood, MN 56334 or send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to access the Athletic Hall of Fame.